A fter having recently spun off from a parent company, IT operations for this E&P company required a rigorous examination of how it could best support business operations as a more nimble independent oil and gas producer. The change in ownership left employees wary of plans for the future. Key business stakeholders were also increasingly vocal about the need for improved IT services. In order to meet this need, Access Sciences was engaged to design a new to-be model for the organization using our proven organization design methodology. To achieve this we:
- Defined the Strategic Intent for the IT function, through a business canvas depicting a potential IT future state, outlining the services IT would perform, its customer base, and key processes required to deliver those services.
- Developed a Process Model to break-down the work conducted within the future state organization into specific actions and deliverables. This included describing processes necessary to achieve desired outcomes as well as identifying integration points between processes.
- Defined an Operating Model depicting how work would flow through the organization and how decisions would be made. It broke down processes and roles into a functional view that took a request for service through to fulfillment.
- Created an Organizational Structure identifying which functions were core to the client’s business, which ones could be pushed outside of IT, and how the remaining business functions could best be organized.
- Assessed the Existing Organization using both IT-specific and general business competencies to define vital knowledge, skills, abilities, and values that the client desired of its employees. Differing levels of proficiency also were identified for each competency to show how knowledge and skill requirements evolve across levels of the organization.
In creating this new operating model, Access Sciences provided the client with a roadmap for achieving a target ideal state that would bring the organization into a more modern vision of how an IT function supports and works with the business to deliver value