ACCESS SCIENCES TO THE RESCUE
Access Sciences employees conducted an inventory of the 26,000 linear feet of material stored off-site. The inventory was conducted at a folder level for each box and drawer. Appropriate record series were matched to boxes and retention end dates applied. A custom database was developed and populated for ongoing inventory management.
Of the 26,000 linear feet of inventory, only 41% required storage at an off-site storage facility, which represents a savings of 15,000 linear feet or storage space. The remaining material was ready for disposition.
Since 2010, we have supported DOTD in its mission to deliver transportation and public works systems that enhance quality of life and facilitate economic growth. Our services to DOTD include an embedded team of information management professionals who:
- Revised DOTD’s retention schedule from one with over 900 record series to one with less than 100 record series.
- Developed a taxonomy to manage all of DOTD’s records, regardless of format.
- Completed a records inventory of physical files at DOTD’s headquarters, district offices, and off-site warehouses, exceeding 50,000 linear feet.
- Developed an inventory control system that allows users to track the location, retention, check-in/out, transfer of ownership, etc. of agency managed records and instituted a system of barcoding items to manage the collection.
- Developed a comprehensive plan for centralizing agency-wide scanning operations including: space, staffing, equipment, hardware and software considerations; pilot testing and planned roll out; and training for users.
- Developed a RIM Coordinator Network and provided training to coordinators.
- Developed and implemented a communications plan to guide change management activities involving new RIM policies and procedures and the updated retention schedule
- Provide ongoing operational support for records warehouse processes including managing new item intake, check-in/out, determining boxes available for disposal, facilitating disposal through contracted vendor, etc.
- Provide ongoing operational support for inventory management for 60,000 reels of microfilm including intake of new reels, check-in/out, research for requests for records, and reel retention.